PSU Sample Paper 6
AIL Technical Papers Electronics-Engineering MT
1. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
(Pole-zero configurations) (Number of elements in Foster's first form
A. 1. Two
B. 2. Three
C. 3. Four
D. 4. Five
A B C D
A. 3 2 1 4
B. 4 3 1 2
C. 3 4 2 1
D. 2 1 4 3
2. An electric dipole of moment P is placed in front of a grounded sphere as shown in the fig. The charge induced on the surface of the sphere is :
PR / d2
PR2 / d3
PR3 / d4
3. A power MOSFET is a
A. voltage controlled device
B. current controlled device
C. frequency controlled device
D. none of the above.
4. Megger is an instrument for
A. measuring current
B. measuring voltage
C. testing insulation
D. measuring power.
The root locus of a unity feedback system is shown in the above figure. The open-loop transfer function is given by :
6. An excess-3 code is used to represent the integers 0 through 9, thus :
Number Code (ABCD)
Which of the following expressions is the correct one for an invalid code ?
B .C .D . + A .C .D .
7. An amplifier has a bandwidth of 20 kHz and a midband gain of 50 without feedback. If a negative feedback of 1% is applied, then bandwidth with feedback is
A. 13.3 kHz
B. 30 kHz
C. 10 kHz
D. 40 kHz.
8. The critical frequency of an ionospheric layer during the day time is
A. more than
B. less than
C. same as for night time
D. None of the above.
9. The data bus in 8080A / 8085 microprocessor is a group of
A. eight bidirectional lines that are used to transfer 8 bits between the microprocessor and
its I / O and memory.
B. eight lines used to transfer data among the registers
C. eight unidirectional lines that are used for I / O devices.
D. xisteen bidirectional lines that are used for data transfer between the microprocessor
10. "The ratio of thermal conductivity to electrical conductivity of a metal M decreases at low temperatures and the value tends to be zero at zero degree Kelvin".
From the above statement, it can be concluded that
Thermal conductivity of metal M is constant
Electrical conductivity of metal varies with temperature only
At absolute zero thermal conductivity of M is zero
At absolute zero the electrical conductivity of metal M is infinitely large ?
11. Which of the following expression states Gibb's phase rule (where the notations have their usual meaning)
A. F = C – P + 1
B. F = C – P + 2
C. F = C – P + 3
D. F = C – P + 4.
12. In horizontal scanning in TV receiver, the beam starts from
A. left top corner and moves to the right
B. centre of top of the frame and moves to right
C. centre of the bottom of the frame and move to the right
D. right top corner of the frame and moves to the right.
13. The equipment used for measuring the height of the aeroplane for ground is called
B. Pulse radar
C. Radar altimeter
D. CW radar.
14. A reflex Klystron functions as
A. microwave amplifier
B. microwave oscillator
C. a high gain cavity
D. both as amplifier and as oscillator
15. The effect of noise in a communication system is most adverse with reference to
16. In the circuit shown in the given figure, the switch S is open for a long time and closed at t = 0.
The value of I at t = 0+ is
17. A slab of uniform magnetic field deflects a moving charged particle by 45º as shown in the figure. The kinetic energy of the charged particle at the entry and exit points in the magnetic field will change in the ratio of
1 : 1
1 : 2
18. A power MOSFET is a
A. current controlled device
B. voltage controlled device
C. both current and voltage controlled device
D. none of the above
19. The instrument whose deflection is given by the expression qµ I2 dm / dq is known is
A. electrodynamic type
B. repulsion type
C. electrostatic type
D. attraction type
20. The open loop transfer function of a unity feedback control system is given by :
It the gain K is increased to infinity, then the damping ratio will tend to become :
21. Maximum I / 0 space which can be addressed by 8088 cPU is
22. Statement-I Statement – II
Theoretical efficiency of Class-A A single-ended power amplifier uses one
power amplifier is 78%. transistor only.
Statement I is correct but II is wrong
Statement 2 is correct but I is wrong
Both statements I and II are correct
Neither statement I nor II is correct.
23. How many loud speakers are required in a quadraphonic
24. The stack pointer in the 8085 microprocessor is a
A. 16 bit register that point to stack memory locations
B. 16 bit accumulator
C. memory location in the stack
D. flag register used for the stack.
25. Which of the following UHF ?
A. 40 GHz
B. 400 MHz
C. 400 kHz
D. 1680 MHz.
26. Gunmetal is an alloy of
A. 80% Cu + 15% Zn + 5% Sn
B. 86% Cu + 9% Zn + 5% Sn
C. 88% Cu + 2% Zn + 10% Sn
D. 70% Cu + 10% Zn + 20% Sn
27. Number of picture frames displayed per second in TV as per CCIR B-system is
28. An ideal pulse radar receiver
A. should have a very large BW
B. should not have a very large BW
C. should have a small BW
D. none of the above.
29. Klystron operates on the principle of
A. amplitude modulation
B. frequency modulation
C. pulse modulation
D. velocity modulation
30. A satellite of low circular orbit than a geostationary orbit is known as
A. Passive satellite
B. Active satellite
C. Fast moving satellite
D. Slow moving satellite.
31. The Laplace transform of the following voltage waveform is
32. In the above figure, the force acting on the conductor PQ is in the direction of
33. The major application of chopper drive is in
C. heating furnaces
D. miniature motors
34. The following error does not result in moving iron instrument with both d.c. and a.c. :
A. stray magnetic field error
B. hysteresis error
C. eddy current error
D. temperature error.
35. The characteristic equation of a unity feedback control system is given by s3 + K1s2 + s + K2 = 0 Consider the following statements in this regard :
1. For a given of K1, all the root-locus branches will terminate at infinity for K2 in the positive direction.
2. For a given value of K2, all the root-locus branches will terminate at infinity for variable K1 in the positive direction.
3. For a given value of K2, only one root-locus branch will terminate at infinity for variable K1 in the positive direction.
Of these statements:
1 and 2 are correct
3 alone is correct
2 alone is correct
1 and 3 are correct.
36. The widely used code in data communication is
A. 8 bit ASCII
B. 7 bit ASCII
D. None of the above.
37. An amplifier is used to amplify a 30p Hz square wave with a sag not exceeding I%. Maximum permissible lower 3 dB frequency of the amplifier in Hz is
38. A communication channel disturbed by additive white Gaussian noise has a bandwidth of 4 KHz and SNR of 15. The highest transmission rate that such a channel can support (in K-nits / sec)
39. How many address lines are needed to address each memory location in a 2048 × 4 memory chip ?
40. Varactor is a
A. non-linear resistor
B. variable resistor
C. non-linear capacitor
D. non-linear inductor.
41. Silicon steel used for electrical purposes has silicon percentage of
42. To eliminate ghosts in the picture we may
A. use a longer transmission line
B. twist the transmission line
C. connect a booster
D. change the antenna orientation or location
43. The COHO in MTI radar operates as the
A. Intermediate frequency
B. Transmitted frequency
C. Received frequency
D. Pulse repetition frequency.
44. The transit time in the repeller space of a reflex Klystron must be
A. n cycles
B. n + ¼ cycles
C. n + 3 / 4 cycles
D. n + ½ cycles
45. Orbit height, H for a satellite is given by
A. H = (r km – 6370) km
B. H = (r km + 6370) km
C. H = r km
D. none of the above.
1.C. The number of elements is given by the number of internal critical frequencies (i.e., number of poles and zeros other than those located at the origin and infinity) plus one. Then it is easy to find the number of elements for each case :
A : 3 + 1 = 4; B : 4 + 1 = 5;
C : 2 + 1 = 3: D : 1 + 1 = 2
The charge induced on a spherical surface is given by
where Q is the inducing point charge, D is the distance of the point charge from the centre of the sphere and R the radius of the sphere.
Total charge induced in the present case is
Now for a dipole d' is very small, i.e., d' << d. Hence, Q' = PR / d2 where, P = qd', the dipole moment.
3.A. a power MOSFET is a voltage-controlled device and requires only a small input current.
4.C. Megger is an instrument for testing insulation.
5.C. From the location of poles and zeros, it is seen that the plot corresponds to the function
The function of plotted above has a 1 output for all invalid codes.
7.B. BWr = BW (1 – Av)
Where, BWf = bandwidth with negative feedback
BW = bandwidth without feedback
Av = mid-band gain without feedback
8.A. f0 = where Nmax is maximum electron density.
9.D. The dtat bus in 8080A / 8085 microprocessor is a group of sixteen bidirectional lines that are used for data transfer between the microprocessor and memory.
10.D. As the ratio of thermal conductivity to electrical conductivity tends to be zero at absolute zero temperature, it can be safely concluded that electrical conductivity (denominator) increases to infinitely large values.
11.B. F = C – P + 2 expression states Gibb's phase rule.
12.B. It starts from centre of top of the frame and moves to right.
13.C. The equipment is called radar altimeter.
14.B. A reflex Klystron functions as microwave oscillator.
15.A. It is with reference to channel.
16.A. The voltage across capacitor prior to closing of the switch is 6 × 4 / 2 = 12 V. Immediately after closing of the switch S, the source current is all diverted into the 'short' and capacitor furnishes a current of 12 / 2 = 6 A in the 2-ohm resistor. The direction is opposite to the marked one. Thus I = -6 A.
17.C. The force on a charge moving in a magnetic field is F = q v x B; the force is ^ to both v & B. Hence the magnitude of v is not changes and thus kinetic energy at the entry and exit points will be same.
18.B. A power MOSFET is a voltage controlled device and requires only a small input current.
19.A. The instrument is known as electrodynamic type.
The ch. eqn. corresponding to unity feedback control loop is (s + 1) + K = 0
i.e. s2 + s + K = 0.
This may be written in the form
s2 + 2 dwn s + wn2 = 0,
whereind is the damping ratio.
It is seen that wn =
Thus, if K ®µ, d® 0.
21.C. Maximum 1 / 0 spare which can be addressed by 8088 CUP is 65536.
22.B. Theoretical efficiency of Class-A power amplifier is 50%.
23.C. In quadraphonic sound there are four audio signals. Two signals provide the usual stereo effect left and right from the front; the other two, left and right from the back. Thus four loud speakers are necessary.
24.A. The stack pointer in the 8085 microprocessor is a 16 bit register that point to stack memory locations.
25.B. The range of Ultra High frequency is 300 MHz to 3 GHz.
26.C. Gunmetal is an alloy of 88% Cu + 2% Zn + 10% Sn.
27.B. Twenty five
28.A. An ideal pulse radar receiver should have a very large BW.
29.D. Klystron operates on the principle of velocity modulation.
30.C. It is known as fast moving satellite