Inventions and Inventors MCQs-1
1. Who invented the Spinning Jenny?
A. Thornton Hargreaves
B. Peter Hargreaves
C. James Hargreaves
D. Simon Hargreaves
2. When was the first lawn mower invented?
3. In which decade were the first successful diode and triode vacuum tubes invented?
4. Who is the English physicist responsible for the 'Big Bang Theory'?
A. Albert Einstein
B. Michael Skube
C. George Gamow
D. Roger Penrose
5. What 'game' was first produced by the Southern Novelty Company in Baltimore, Maryland in 1892?
C. Ouija board
D. Ping Pong
6. Who had an explosive idea and first patented DYNAMITE?
A. J. R. Gluber
B. A. Nobel
C. G. Fawks
D. W. Bickford
7. Which of the following was first patented by an Australian in 1889?
A. Electric Drill
B. Electric Shaver
C. Electric Fence
D. Electric Heater
8. Which insurance salesman invented the fountain pen in 1884?
A. Lewis Edson Waterman
B. Sir William Grove
C. Charles Kettering
D. George Fountain
9. When was the first elevator built?
10. What charge card, developed in 1950, was the first to be accepted nationally in the US?
D. Diner's Club
11. What Enrico Fermi invented?
A. X ray machine
D. Nuclear reactor
12. The Manhattan Project was started by President Roosevelt in 1942 to ensure that the U.S. beat the Germans in developing a nuclear bomb. Whom did Roosevelt appoint as scientific head the Manhattan Project?
A. Robert Oppenheimer
B. James B. Conant
C. Leslie R. Groves
D. Vannevar Bush
13. Who among the following invented the small pox vaccine?
A. Robert Koch
B. Edward Jenner
C. Robert Hooke
D. Louis Pasteur
14. What George Westinghouse invented?
A. Light bulb
B. Electric razor
D. Railway air brakes
15. Who is the only U.S. President to invent and patent something?
A. Abraham Lincoln
B. Theodore Roosevelt
C. Thomas Jefferson
D. Rutherford B. Hayes
16. What invention is credited to the Russian born American inventor Vladimir Kosma Zworykin?
17. Benjamin Franklin was a prolific inventor. He invented the lightning rod, the Franklin stove, studied electricity, discovered the Gulf Stream, started the first library, and on and on. Among his many other inventions, what musical instrument did he invent?
18. What Thomas Davenport invented?
A. Screw propellor
B. Electric streetcar
D. Sleeping (railway) car
19. What inspired reflecting road lights to be invented?
A. Car door reflecting mirrors
B. The light cat's eyes gave off on a fence
C. Sun light on steel posts on road sides
D. The sun light on the windshield
20. Where was the yo-yo invented?
B. United States
21. For what does the world owe Almon Strowger a debt of gratitude?
A. Parking Meters
B. Vending Machines
C. Automatic Telephone Exchanges
D. Traffic Lights
22. What Elisha Otis invented?
A. The brake used in modern elevators
B. Jet Engine
D. Hydraulic Crane
23. The first hand glider was designed by…?
A. Leonardo Da Vinci
B. The Wright brothers
C. Francis Rogallo
24. In which decade was the telegraph invented?
25. Who is often called the 'first African-American' inventor?
A. Bessie Blount
B. George Washington Carver
C. Benjamin Banneker
D. Elijah McCoy